What a fun way to celebrate fresh summer melons. Create a watermelon plate for little eaters!
This is a family and CACFP summer recipe for Melons and Berries.
- Prep Time20 min
- Total Time20 min
- 1 watermelon, smaller, elongated shape if possible
- ¼-½ cup of cantaloupe, and/or honeydew balled
- ½ cup of seasonal raspberries, or other berries
- sprigs of mint from the garden
- sprigs of sunflower sprouts, or other sprouts like sweet pea from a local producer
Cut the watermelon in half.
To form the individual circles, slice the watermelon in ½ inch slices widthwise going from the middle to tip of the melon. Each slice will get slightly smaller as you work your way to the end of the melon. Depending on the size of the watermelon, you should be able to get between 4-6 good circles.)
Remove the rind of the watermelon by cutting it off in small pieces. Once the rind is removed you can perfect the circular shape with a small paring knife. Alternatively, you can use a sharp circular cookie cutter to make the circles if you have one.
Using the smallest cutter on a melon baller, form 12 melon balls, and place on top of the watermelon circles.
Garnish the rest of the salad with berries, mint, and sunflower sprouts.