SIMPLE ROASTED BEETS WITH FLAVOR VARIATIONS
Getting your kids interested in trying these beauties can be as easy as roasting a variety of beets in a hot oven.
This is a winter family and CACFP recipe for beets.
Cooking and prep level: Basic.
- Prep Time20 min
- Cook Time50 min
- Total Time1 hr 10 min
- Energy50 cal
- 4 medium sized fresh beets, (approx. 1½ lbs) skinned and cut into ½ inch cubes
- 3 Tablespoons good quality olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, or coarse salt
Choose a Seasoning Mix
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme + ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar + ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon BBQ seasoning + ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- Create your own spice blend using favorites from your spice rack!
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Toss the beets, olive oil and spice mix a bowl until beets are coated.
Arrange beets on a baking sheet so that they don’t touch.
Sprinkle the beets with sea salt.
Roast in the preheated oven until the beets are tender, 10 to 20 minutes, tossing or flipping pieces halfway through.
A fork inserted into a beet should come out easily.
Beets come in many colors. Trying different colors of beets will add interest to your dish. Golden (yellow), candy stripe (Chioggia), purple and dark red varieties each have a different flavor profile! When cooking a lighter color of beet with dark red beets, keep the other colors separated from the red beets while cooking to avoid the red color staining other colors.
- 10 servings per container
- Amount per serving
- % Daily Value*
- Total Fat4.2 g5.38%
- Saturated Fat0.6 g3%
- Cholesterol0 mg0%
- Sodium213 mg9.26%
- Total Carbohydrate3.2 g1.16%
- Dietary Fiber0.8 g2.86%
- Total Sugars2 g
- Protein0.4 g0.8%
- Vitamin D (Cholecalciferol)0 IU0%
- Calcium0 mg0%
- Iron0 mg0%
- Potassium2 mg0.04%