CALABACITAS CON ELOTE (ZUCCHINI WITH CORN)
This is an easy dish to make in summer using locally grown veggies or your garden veggies. Use up some of that zucchini that is growing all over your garden patch!
This is a summer family recipe for summer Squash, Bell Peppers, and Sweet Corn.
- Prep Time15 min
- Cook Time10 min
- Total Time25 min
- ¾ pound local Zucchini, sliced
- 1 small Onion, sliced
- 1 Green Bell Pepper, sliced
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, sliced
- ¾ pound Tomatoes, fresh, diced (outside tomato season, use 1 can of diced tomato)
- 2 ears Sweet Corn, kernels sliced off the cob (raw)
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- Ground Black Pepper, to taste
- Cojita cheese, 4 ounces (Mexican crumbling cheese) (optional)
Heat oil in a pan; add green and red peppers and cook, stirring frequently, about 3 minutes.
Add onion and cook another 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
Add zucchini, corn, salt, and pepper cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
Mix in diced tomatoes, saute 3 minutes, remove from heat and serve.
Add a topping of crumbled Cojita cheese once portioned.
Calabacitas con Elote is often called Mexican Succotash. This recipe can be a side dish or a main dish if you want. It has many variations in Mexico; cooks may add cream and cheese, roasted Poblano pepper strips or diced pork. The combinations are endless!
- 4 servings per container
- Amount per serving
- % Daily Value*
- Total Fat4.7 g6.03%
- Saturated Fat0.9 g4.5%
- Cholesterol0 mg0%
- Sodium326 mg14.17%
- Total Carbohydrate25.2 g9.16%
- Dietary Fiber5.4 g19.29%
- Total Sugars8.7 g
- Protein5 g10%
- Vitamin D (Cholecalciferol)0 IU0%
- Calcium33 mg2.54%
- Iron3 mg16.67%
- Potassium710 mg15.11%