Ratatouille is versatile as an ingredient, topping or as a side dish. Making large batches of ratatouille and freezing during the season will provide a local ingredient throughout the school year!
This is a summer school food service recipe for Summer Squash, Eggplant, Tomatoes, Bell Peppers, and fresh Herbs.
Cooking and prep level: Intermediate.
Adapted from Viroqua WI Area Schools, The Fifth Season Project and Winnebago ReThink! Project
- Prep Time10 min
- Cook Time30 min
- Total Time40 min
- Serving Size6.17 oz
- Energy59 cal
- 10 lbs Zucchini, fresh, cut ¼ inch half moon slices
- 7 lbs 8 oz Eggplant, fresh cubed ½ inch
- 4 lbs Onion, fresh quartered, sliced thin
- ¾ cup Garlic (approx. 30 cloves), fresh, minced
- 2 lbs 8 oz Green Pepper, fresh, coarse chopped
- 6 lbs Red Pepper, fresh, coarse chopped
- 12 lbs Tomato, plum, fresh coarse chopped
- ½ cup Parsley, fresh, minced
- ½ cup Basil, fresh, minced
- 3 Tbsp Oregano leaves, dried
- 3 tsp Thyme leaves, dried
- 4 Tbsp Salt
- 3 Tbsp Black Pepper
- 1 cup Olive Oil
CCP: Heat ovens: 350 F conventional, 325 F convection, no fan.
Place all veggies in large totes or bowls. Toss to combine.
Spread veggies on deep sheet pans. Do not overcrowd pans.
Combine parsley, basil, oregano, thyme, salt, and pepper.
Sprinkle veggies evenly with herb/spice mix.
Drizzle oil over each pan.
Toss veggies lightly on pans with gloved hands.
Bake for approximately 25 minutes until veggies soften, stirring after 15 minutes.
CCP: Cook until internal temperature reaches 135 F for 15 seconds.
CCP: Hold at 135 F through service.
Serve with a #6 scoop.
Ratatouille, French meaning “a motley stew”, can be used in many ways. This seasonal vegetable blend can be used as a pizza topping, a savory ingredient in soups, casseroles, and stews or as a stand-alone side dish.
This is a perfect recipe to work on improving staff knife skills! To read about Winnebago County’s ReThink! Cooking Up Ratatouille project click here.
- 100 servings per container
- Serving Size6.17 oz
- Amount per serving
- % Daily Value*
- Total Fat2.6 g3.33%
- Saturated Fat0.4 g2%
- Trans Fat0 g
- Cholesterol0 mg0%
- Sodium289 mg12.57%
- Total Carbohydrate8.7 g3.16%
- Dietary Fiber3.5 g12.5%
- Total Sugars4.4 g
- Protein1.9 g3.8%