Crunchy, sweet and tart, this salad will brighten any menu or salad bar!
This is an autumn apple and cabbage, or a winter honey, school food service recipe.
Cooking and prep level: Basic
Adapted from Washington State Schools Scratch Cooking Book – La Conner School District
- Prep Time50 min
- Total Time50 min
- HAACP Process1
- 3 lbs 2 oz Cabbage, fresh shredded
- 1 lb 4 oz Carrots, fresh shredded
- 3 lbs 12 oz Apples, fresh skin on sliced
- ⅔ cup Sunflower Seeds, toasted
- ⅔ cup Cherries, dried unsweetened
- 1 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 5 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 3 Tbsp + 1 tsp Honey, pure local
- 2 tsp Salt
Chop apples into ½ inch pieces.
Toss all salad ingredients in a deep hotel pan.
In a large bowl whisk vinegar with honey and salt. Slowly stream oil into vinegar while whisking to incorporate.
Toss dressing with salad ingredients to coat.
CCP: Refrigerate and hold at 41 F or lower until service.
Portion in a ⅜ cup serving.