These muffins are a great start to anyone’s day! Sweet and tart with cheddar cheese, you can guarantee your students will love them!
This is an autumn and winter school food service recipe for Apples, Cranberries, Honey, and local Grains.
Cooking and Prep Level: Basic.
- Prep Time1 hr 10 min
- Cook Time30 min
- Total Time1 hr 40 min
- Serving Size1
- Energy159 cal
- HAACP Process2
- 4 lbs Cornmeal, whole grain yellow, enriched (make it local!)
- 2 Tbsp Salt
- 2 Tbsp Baking Soda
- 3 Tbsp 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 6 Whole Eggs, Large
- 16 oz Canola Oil
- 64 oz Yogurt, plain low-fat
- 16 oz lHoney, pure locally sourced
- 8 oz Sugar, brown
- 2 lbs Cheddar Cheese, shredded, reduced fat (a great way to use up USDA commodity cheese!)
- 2 lbs Cranberries, dried sweetened (make it a regional purchase)
- 4 lbs Apples, peeled & diced, Braeburn or other firm-fleshed variety (buy them from your local orchard)
- Pan Spray
CCP: Preheat conventional oven to 375 F
Lightly grease muffin pans with vegetable oil cooking spray, or insert muffin liners
In a large bowl, combine cornmeal, salt, baking soda and baking powder.
In a mixer at low speed, beat eggs. Add oil, yogurt, and honey.
Add the cheese, cranberries, brown sugar and apples to egg mixture and mix on low speed.
While mixer is running, add dry ingredients slowly, combining well.
Scoop batter into muffin cups using a #16 scoop- one scoop per cup.
CCP: Bake muffins for 30 minutes, rotating once during baking. Tops should be golden and a toothpick inserted into the center should come out clean.
Shortly rest the muffins, then serve warm or at room temp.
What the heck is a peck??
Are you trying to convert local apple quantities from your orchard?
A peck of apples weighs 10.5 pounds.
A bushel of apples weighs approximately 42 pounds.
Want to learn more about fresh, local apples?
Visit: ilffarmbureaupartners/apple facts
- 100 servings per container
- Serving Size1
- Amount per serving
- % Daily Value*
- Total Fat6.8 g8.72%
- Saturated Fat1.9 g9.5%
- Trans Fat0 g
- Cholesterol18.3 mg6.1%
- Sodium293 mg12.74%
- Total Carbohydrate22.1 g8.04%
- Dietary Fiber1.3 g4.64%
- Total Sugars14.3 g
- Protein4 g8%