This is a January or March school recipe for apples.
USDA Meal Components: 1½ oz Protein, ¼ c fruit, ¼ cup other vegetable
Cooking and Prep Level: Basic.
- 9 lbs 8 oz USDA Chicken Pieces pulled or chopped
- 8 lbs Celery, chopped
- 2 lbs Red Onion, minced
- 8 lbs 8 oz Apples, Red Delicious, cored, chopped w/ skins on
- 1 lbs 8 oz Cranberries, dried or craisins
- 1 lbs Walnuts, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 lb 12 oz (3½ cups) Mayonnaise, low fat, OR Salad Dressing, reduced calorie
- 1 lb Yogurt, vanilla low fat
- ½ cup Lemon Juice, fresh
- 2 tsps Black Pepper, ground
- 1 tsp Salt
- CCP: Defrost chicken under refrigeration at 41*F for no more than 24 hours.
- Chop all veggies and apples.
- Combine chopped apples with lemon juice, toss to coat.
- Drain chicken thoroughly and pat dry.
- Drain juice from apples, reserving for dressing. In a large bowl whisk mayo or salad dressing, yogurt and lemon juice from apples. Add salt and pepper. Taste for seasonings.
- In a large tote, combine chicken, apples with lemon juice, cranberries, celery and onions.
- Fold in dressing.
- Add walnut pieces.
- Spread salad into shallow hotel pans (12 x 20 x 21/2) to a depth of 2" or less. For 50 servings, use one pan. For 100, use two pans.
- CCP: Cool to 41*F or lower within four hours.
- Portion with #6 scoop ⅔ cup
- CCP: Hold at a minimum of 41*F during service.
Did you know Wisconsin is #1 in cranberry production in the nation, supplying the market with 56% of all U.S. cranberries?
Michigan is #3 in apple production in the nation. They are #1 in the country for slicing fresh apples. Michigan apples are harvested from 850 family-run farms across the state.
Illinois produces apples, too! There is a map tool for locating apple producers in Illinois at: orangepippin.com
Wisconsin is the #2 dairy producing state, with more creameries than the #1 dairy producing state, California.
Wisconsin and Michigan are in the top 13 states for producing onions.