This is a January or March school recipe for apples.
USDA Meal Components: ⅛ cup red/orange vegetable, ⅜ cup fruit, and 1 oz equivalent grains.
Cooking and Prep Level: Complex.
- 8 lb 12 oz Quinoa
- 2 gal 3 qts Water
- 7 lbs 4 oz Apples, tart apples cored, peeled cubed ¾ inch
- 8 lbs Butternut Squash, peeled cubed ½ inch
- 1 cup Canola Oil
- 1 T 1 tsp Ground Ginger
- 3 T 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 3 c Frozen Orange Juice Concentrate, thawed
- 1⅓ c Olive Oil
- ⅓ c Honey
- 2 T Dijon Mustard
- 2 cups Red Wine Vinegar
- 2 tsps Salt
- 1⅓ tsps Black Pepper, ground
- 1 tsp White Pepper, ground
- ¼ cup Cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 lbs 8 oz Golden Raisins, finely chopped
- 2 lbs 8 oz Cranberries, finely chopped
- Rinse quinoa in a fine mesh strainer until water runs clear, not cloudy.
- Combine quinoa and water in a covered stockpot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, simmer until water is absorbed, about 10-15 mins.
- Combine apples, squash and canola oil. Add half the ginger and half the cinnamon. Reserve remaining spice. Toss well to coat.
- Transfer apple mixture to a sheet pan. For 50 servings; 2 pans, for 100 servings; 4 pans.
- CCP Heat oven: Conventional oven: 400 F , Convection oven: 400 F
- Roast until squash is soft and slightly brown on edges. DO NOT OVERCOOK. Conventional oven: 400 F 15-20 mins. Convection oven: 400 F 12-15 mins.
- Combine orange juice, olive oil, honey, Dijon, vinegar, salt, peppers, cilantro and remaining cinnamon and ginger. Whisk until combined.
- In steam table pan (12x20x4) combine cooked quinoa, apple/squash mixture, cranberries, raisins and dressing. Mix well. For 50 servings, use 2 pans. For 100 servings, use 4 pans.
- Cover and refrigerate at 40 F to allow flavors to meld.
- CCP: Cool to 41 F or lower within 4 hours. Refrigerate until service. Serve cold.
Ancient grains are rich in protein, omega-3 fatty acids and antioxidants. Some, but not all, ancient grains are gluten-free. Amaranth, quinoa, buckwheat, millet, and teff are all gluten-free.