This is a December school recipe for carrots.
USDA Meal components: ½ cup red/orange vegetable and ⅛ cup fruit.
Cooking and Prep Level: Basic
- 2 lbs walnuts, chopped
- 10 lbs 2 oz shredded, raw carrots
- 2 lbs dried currants, cranberries or raisins
- 1 ½ cup orange juice
- 1 cup lemon juice
- 4 T orange zest (optional)
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp. 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- If toasting walnuts, place on a baking pan and bake at 300 *F for 6-10 minutes until lightly browned. Set aside to cool completely.
- In a large mixing bowl combine grated carrots, walnuts, and dried fruit. Set aside.
- In another bowl, combine orange juice, lemon juice, zest, brown sugar, salt, and cinnamon. Whisk until blended.
- Slowly whisk oil into juice mixture until well combined.
- Pour dressing over carrot mixture. Toss to coat.
- CCP: Hold at 41 degrees or below before and during service.
Carrots are the swollen “taproots” of vegetables belonging to the Umbelliferous family that includes celery, parsnips, parsley, cumin, and dill (look at the resemblance in their flowers). They lend complexity to stocks, soups, and stews with their complex aromatic molecules and add a hint of sweetness (up to 5% total weight of a mixture sucrose, glucose and fructose). These characteristics have led them to be used in many cultures' sweets and pastries - carrot cake and the vegetable fudge halwa.