This is a January or March school recipe for apples.
USDA Meal Components: ½ oz Credible Grains, ¼ c fruit
Cooking and Prep Level: Basic.
- 9 lbs Apples, fresh Granny Smith, cored and chopped
- 96 oz USDA Applesauce, canned
- 10⅔ oz Lemon Juice, fresh
- 1 lb Sugar, white granulated
- 4 oz Cinnamon, ground
- 1 lbs 8 oz Oatmeal, rolled
- 1 lbs 6 oz Sugar, brown
- 1 lbs 6 oz Flour, whole grain
- 1 lbs 2 oz Flour, white all purpose
- 1 lbs 8 oz Butter, salted
- CCP: Preheat oven; Convection 350*F, Conventional 375*F
- Add chopped apples to lemon juice, tossing to coat.
- Add the white sugar and cinnamon to the apples. Toss to coat.
- Add the applesauce to apples, stir to combine. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a microwave-safe bowl.
- In a large bowl (using a floor mixer or by hand) combine oatmeal, flours and brown sugar. Slowly add the melted butter until a cookie dough-like consistency is reached.
- Grease two 20 x 12 x 4-inch pans.
- Pour apple/applesauce mixture on bottoms of pans, spreading evenly.
- Pour oatmeal mixture on top of apple mixture, spreading so it completely covers the surface.
- Bake at 40 mins, in convection or 50 mins in a conventional oven.
- The top should be golden brown.
- CCP: Internal temp of 135*F must be reached for 15 seconds.
- Serve warm with a #6 scoop.
Learn about Illinois apples here: AgintheClassroom/Apples