This is a December school recipe for carrots.
USDA Meal Components: ½ cup red/orange vegetable
Cooking and Prep Level: Basic.
- 20 lbs Carrots, fresh peeled and cut into thin sticks
- ½ cup Vegetable, Olive or Canola oil
- 1 Tbsp 1 tsp Salt, kosher
- 2 tsps Black Pepper, ground
Flavor Variations (choose one):
- Asian: 2 tsps Ginger, ground
- Italian: 2 tsps Oregano, dried, 2 tsps Garlic, granulated
- Lemon: ½ cup Lemon juice, fresh, 2 Tbsps Parsley, fresh chopped
- Mexican: 1 tsp Cumin, 1 tsp Chipotle Powder, 1 tsp Chili Powder
- CCP: Preheat oven: Convection 400*F, Conventional 425*F
- Toss carrot sticks with oil, salt and pepper. If using a flavor variation, add spices, etc. to oil, mixing to incorporate.
- Spread carrot sticks onto parchment covered sheet pans- 10 lbs maximum per pan.
- Bake about 10 minutes. Stir once and return to oven for about 5 minutes until tender, but not mushy.
- CCP: Internal temperature of 135 °F must be reached for 15 seconds.
- CCP: Hold at a minimum of 140 °F through service.
Even in those ancient times, many colors of carrots were present and used – black, white, red and purple. Interestingly, orange colors that we use today were not present. The most telling sign of how popular carrots were in those ancient times come from Ancient Egypt, where numerous carrots were placed in the tombs of dead Pharaohs and the drawings of the carrot harvest and processing can be found in numerous hieroglyph paintings.
(Excerpt from: http://www.vegetablefacts.net/)